Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blog 8; I Know the Truth, so Don't Bother Me with Facts.

             In “I know the truth so don’t bother me with facts” by Jeffrey Kluger he explains how humans easily believe rumors and flat out lies. Assistant professors of communication at Ohio State University R-Kelly Garrett and Erik Nisbet were shocked by how easy it is to alter peoples beliefs. Investigators are digging deeper into the brain to see how our primal emotions are functioning. Kluger finishes by telling us no matter what information we gather its up to us as individuals to make our own and best decisions.
           I agree with Jeffrey Kluger when he states “even when people do take the time to learn the facts the efforts often does no good” because people are set in there own ways and they are not open minded about new facts. 
           For instance i always tend to do my writing homework while watching television or listening to my Ipod. I have been doing this for as long as i remember. My mom always complains that it is not a good idea, but i am so used of doing this its hard for me to change. I am really hardheaded. I usually like to do things my way and the way that satisfies me despite what other people have to say or tell me. Kluger mentions in his article that it has a lot to do with our ego.
           We put a lot of pride in what we believe in. People tend not to be aware of what is going on around them. They live in their own worlds and do not pay attention to any of there surroundings. people may be easily manipulated as show in Nisbets and Garretts study, it is very difficult to actually change ones belief. The study done at Ohio State University proves that people are not ready for change and consequences that they will have to overcome, but i believe we should be up for anything.!


                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment