Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blog 11; Responding to a significant topic in The Truman Show

Topic 3: Coming out of the cave (Google Groups questions 4-5)
Truman’s conformity to his society is often depicted as childish. He sometimes behaves wildly and is constantly being told to “grow up”. He begins to “grow up” when he questions everything he has always known and believed in to the point that his view of Seahaven is radically altered
Consider your own life (or the life of someone you know well):
Can you think of a similar situation in your own life that has changed the way you view the world?
If so, please describe it in detail. Was your change in worldview for the better or the worse? Why?
In what ways are you still conforming to your surroundings?
What things/people are keeping you from “growing up”?

               
                 People’s view of life can be altered by many things. Different life experiences good or bad can change a persons outlook on life. The most damaging things that could alter ones outlook on life in my opinion would be a death or being lied too.
             When someone has a close family member or friend pass away it could damage them for life. Some people never get over it. I remember when i was younger a very close friend of mine passed away, i was destroyed. I couldn't eat for days. I didn't want  go to school, i didn't want to talk to anyone.
             My view of the world changed for the worse. I no longer wanted to be friends with people because i thought that if i became their friends they would also die and i didn't want that to happen.I was always by myself. I later was told that people die all the time and it wasn't my fault. It was natural I just figured that my mom was trying to make me feel better. 
             A couple of years later my grandfather died in Ireland and i knew if wasn't my fault cause i was here in NY. After that i realized that it wasn't my fault that people died. I started to become friends with people again. Death today is still not easy but at least I don’t believe that i killed the person.
          

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is profound. It is very common for children to think that bad things that happen around them (spousal abuse, death, etc.) are "their fault." And a sure sign of growing up is understanding you are not the cause of all things happening--that the world exists independently of you.

    The story itself could have benefited from more concrete detail: how old were you? Was your friend male or female? Younger or older than you? In what ways were you close friends?

    Also, check the way you are spelling "couldn't," "wasn't," and "didn't"--it is as if you were having a "no apostrophes" moment when you wrote this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete